Two weeks in...

Martin Naef mnaef at navisto.ch
Sun Mar 29 18:44:33 CEST 2020

Hi all

It's mostly home office for me, which works pretty well though I do miss the personal interaction with the team. Work keeps me busy, but there is a bit more family time which I certainly enjoy. The lock-down isn't quite as strong here compared to other countries in Europe, so I can still get out of the house to do some cycling.

As we had to close the airfield, I do get to spend the hobby time on sorting through some video material that's waiting on my hard drive for editing. As I ran out of archived sound material sometime last year, I occasionally start up the home studio to create background music for my videos, which is quite fun as it provides a certain direction to the tracks but poses less need for them to stand on their own. It actually takes a lot less time to finish something useful.

My studio hasn't changed much since I returned from Scotland eleven years ago besides the occasional software upgrade. I'm still using Sonar for sequencing and Samplitude for the mixing work. I treated myself to the VST version of the Korg Triton over the last Christmas break which has provided me with a huge sound library as it comes with all extensions they ever released for it. It's funny to see how much quality you can get with "only" 230MB of samples, compared to the gigabytes that came with Sonar's and Samplitude's sound libraries. Of course there's a bit of nostalgia involved, as the Korg Trinity was my first ever synth and the Triton nicely builds on top of that.

As for things to come, I recently thought about organizing a get together for the 20 years anniversary of the Zurich Bar jam. That would be in April 2023... 😉

Martin