Free March 2020 : NI Analog Dreams

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:59:48 CEST 2020

> Cool, and just in time. They have quite an extensive collection of free stuff.

Yeah, I’ve been enjoying it.  Not super modifiable or tweak-able, but nevertheless enough to get some basic tracks/lines down.

Right now I’m going through the Logic Pro X demo, finding it .. not quite as cool as I’d imagined.  80gigs of samples, wtf.

Can’t wrangle the UI, OOBE-like, seems like I really need to do tutorials.  Meh!

Might have to go running, screaming, back to REAPER this afternoon.  Well, definitely, actually.

> Now, when things settle down, and I have a better idea of whether I'll still have a job (one of our markets is the airline industry... yeah), and my wife and I haven't got a pay cut, I'll look into an Arturia controller keyboard.

Generally I’ve found my Arturia MiniLab Mk2 to be very, very useful - its quite pleasant to use, and I got the “Ignite” app set up with it this week, which turns my laptop+minilab combo into a viable instrument, out of the box.   BUT! I just turned it on this morning and it seems the MiniLab knobs are either borked somehow, through some firmware trickery, or they’re physically kaput - can’t get the first 3 knobs to send proper CC messages.  Was working yesterday, so I’m very curious what I’ve done to it - even after a total factory reset of the firmware, I’m still having the same issue.

Still, for 99eu, it has been a very viable and worthwhile controller.  Just, my knobs are skipping now, and all I’ve been doing is using it with all and sundry apps/plugins in this era-of-free that I can find.  If I find a fix, I’ll let you know.  Meanwhile, have an eye on some of the other options ..

j.