Everyone okay?

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 22:01:16 CET 2020

There's an odd ghost-town feel here in Worcester UK, hardly anyone is on
the streets, although there is currently only 1 confirmed case in the
county (population about 600k). It's possible to pop into a coffee shop and
still keep a reasonable degree of separation from other people as almost
nobody is around, the gloom is mostly economic uncertainty rather than
about catching the virus.

Today at the University 50% of students had decided not to come in, several
have gone back to their families early, even though we still have 5 weeks
of teaching left this year. We have quite a large number of Chinese
exchange students who now wear masks 24/7, but I'm proud to say we have
zero cases of any racism against them. Work has been quite odd for me, as I
have a reduced teaching load this semester in return for doing a 10 day
teaching session in China that was supposed to happen 2 weeks ago, but this
was of course cancelled. Today I was midway through a lecture when the head
of computing came to say we are stopping all face-to-face teaching from the
end of tomorrow, so I quickly ran through all the rest of the
course content with the students and will be doing video sessions for the
rest of the academic year. Then at 5pm we have had another spanner thrown
into the works, as the Government announced that there will be no A-level
exams for school leavers this year, which throws our admissions process
into chaos because we use those results to decide who to accept.

Family and friends are all healthy so far, and I'm currently expecting to
work mostly from home until late September.

Stay safe and keep in touch, folks.... and make some music with all this
enforced free time!

- Andy_R