AMT8 in Catalina

Martin Naef mnaef at navisto.ch
Mon Apr 27 21:03:11 CEST 2020

Hi Joost

I had a bit of an odyssey when it comes to MIDI over the past decade. I was a happy user of two AMT8 until the Windows2k drivers no longer worked on modern OS versions. I then switched to a MOTU midi express 128 and a micro lite. When I changed to my current computer some 6 years ago, these stopped working somehow (the driver would hang until I removed the device). I then started using the Cirklon, an m-audio 4x4 and a 2x2, all class-compliant, which worked semi-reliably and provided just sufficient ports to get by, kind of... I first tried two m-audio 4x4, which failed - seems the system does not like two identical class-compliant devices for some reason.

I always suspected some incompatibility with the USB implementation on the main board, as I later encountered similar hang-ups when connecting an external SSD drive. A couple months ago I replaced my graphics card with one that had a USB-C port on the back, added a hub and tried the MOTU interfaces again - with success. Encouraged that way, I added another PCIe card with two USB 3.1 ports that I now use to connect to the two MOTU interfaces, which has worked reliably since... So yes, definitely a chipset issue.

So in conclusion, the MOTU interfaces still get my vote. BTW: My ancient MOTU PCIX-424-based audio rig still works reliably to the day (one 2408, two 1224 and one 308 interface), so another set of kudos to MOTU for longevity.

Martin