Look what I got in the studio

tom adam tom.adam at thebigear.be
Sat Jun 22 22:10:46 CEST 2019

Played the quantum some more today and I have to say that it sounds amazing.

Went trough some presets, lot's of them, and some of them really show
what this machine can do. But useful stuff out of the box, not so much.

I've been trying out the wavetable osc today, yeah, they know how to do
that ;-)
I was able to upload the wavetables i made for the Quantix-8 module in
my modular. But you have so much more options on the quantum that I
didn't recognize the wavetables after twisting some knobs. I'm going to
try particles next, before the thing goes back to it's rightful owner.

As for overall stuff, the screen isn't so bad. It's responsive, easy to
use and gives you direct feedback of what's going on. I thought that it
would annoy me, but it actually works, and I didn't have the feeling of
working on a computer stuffed inside a keyboard, which it actually is.
Sometimes the automatic screen jumping is annoying, but apparently
there's a setting to change this.
The envelops are snappy, but modulating the attack time of the vca needs
to be set up carefully. going to short gives some clicking.
The EFX are basic, and somehow the phaser was giving an annoying whine,
but I didn't dig in deep to check it out.
The analog filter is nice, the digital filters are differently nice, the
complex modulator is really cool (going to make one for my modular this
winter, after tri season).
The ARP and sequencer are very well done, nothing to fancy, but perfect
for jamming and exploring sounds.

got to go, particles are awaiting!

ToAd