Time to get out of the box

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 20:28:05 CEST 2018

Thanks Mikael and Andrew

I feel like I'm starting to get to the point where I can ask some beginner
questions...

1) A lot of manufacturers use a naming convention: *n *x *n *but nobody
seems to explain it anywhere. What do those two numbers indicate?

2) To me, an ADAT was a digital audio VHS tape recorder that shouldn't have
lasted into this millennium. Does ADAT now mean that 25 pin D connector
that looks like SCSI?

3) Why does everything have so many outputs? I feel like I'm missing
something because a 4 in 8 out box sounds absurd to me. Am I wrong to just
want lots of inputs but only a single digital out (and possibly a stereo
pair to monitor)?

4) Everything seems to have a connector I've not seen before. What is that
connector that looks to be the size of a 3-pin XLR, but with a T-shaped
hole called, and what's it for?

5) My current thinking is that what I should be looking for is a box full
of D/A converters with one 25-pin D connector on the back, and a 'snake
cable' that converts this to jack plugs. Judging by the fact that I can't
find such a thing, I'm worried if this is a sane conclusion to have
reached?

Thanks for bearing with me!

- Andy_R