New track

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 20:14:09 CEST 2017

On Sep 25, 2017, at 1:29 PM, Jay Vaughan <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Lol, there is literally not a single preset. Well technically, I couldn’t find an init for the Roland Cloud synths so had to start with something and then change it, but they are such basic synths presets are just silly.
>

> You designed these sounds, individually from INIT?

Basically pretty much every sound I use, if it comes from a synth starts with init. I couldn’t find an init function on the Roland synths so sure they started with a preset, but from what I remember I more or less tweaked it out of existence to what I wanted, I mean how many possible sounds could come from a Juno anyway? I’ve always hated presets because there is something I always don’t like and rather than have to hunt it down, I just start from basic. Plus I feel I want to have a hand in making every part, so just slapping a preset on and leaving it is lazy. Though the Ampex tape machine plug is using a preset :)

Stuff like Omnisphere I’ll use presets sometimes just cuz there is no point in remaking.

>> I tend to like basic sounds, so a lot of them are Serum with just basic filter env. The growly sounds are actually somewhat complex/tedious to make. Also with this track I was going more for energy than interesting sound design.
>
> I'm seeing the energy, composition-wise, but the sounds just felt really, really bog-standard.

Yea it also comes from the nature of a deadline. I guess you could call it a functionally produced track, meaning no time to record a lot of hardware etc... There is a points structure for originally but also one for how well the track fits with the label, so at a certain point you’re making something that needs to appeal to a wide audience.

>> There is a recorded Minimoog part and a bunch of parts from an Omnichord, I guess that last one is basically a preset :)
>
> Forget about it, I'm just getting old and grumpy.

It’s a good point, at certain point I felt that stuff was starting to sound samey but it was too late to go back in.