IEEE 1394/FireWire/iLink woes

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Fri May 26 21:39:10 CEST 2017

So, today I got a MiniDisc deck (don't ask) with an IEEE
1394/FireWire/iLink interface. In fact, that's the *only* connector it
has. It doesn't have analogue audio, nor S/PDIF, either coax or optical.
Just 1394.

It looks fabulous, though.

Now, my mainboard has a pair of 1394 headers, and Windows 10 recognises
the interface, and I've connected the deck to the PC, but nothing.

So it could be the 6-pin-to-4-pin cable, but it's brand new, bought
today. It could also be a missing driver. I've also connected a DV
camera, but that doesn't work either.

Is there some way that I can query the 1394 bus? If needs be, I'll write
a C program for that.

- Peter