Clustering of tracks (upload/radio 'channels'/genres/intensities)

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Wed Mar 1 00:34:20 CET 2017

So I’m setting up a small webapp so we can upload our tracks. I’d like to show a bit more info about the track whilst it’s playing in a web page.

But especially, I’d like to segment the radio a bit. Currently it’s simply playing random tracks. It would be nice if we could play similar tracks after each other in a ‘radio program'. Or segment tracks out into a dedicated ambient channel, for instance. AI-DJ.

How could we set up the clustering? Genres? Add a BPM field? A bunch of checkmarks (e.g. contains vocals)? Tagging? Which tags? A mellowness/intensity slider?

My best guess now would be a simple selection of the following:

* Electronica (techno/ebm/house/etc)
* Ambient
* Vocals and/or guitars
* Experiments/synth noodles & jams
* Other

But… bleh…

Academic answers using machine learning, AI, graph theory, linear algebra and others are also appreciated ;)

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL