How good are we at predicting the future

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Aug 19 19:20:55 CEST 2017

OK, this is a long shot, and mostly based on my memory. It's interesting
to know that I have the uncanny ability of predicting the exact opposite
of what's going to happen. For example, I didn't think the iPhone would
be a success. :-D

But I distinctly remember Jay predicting that with YouTube, we'd be
making our own TV. (Obviously, I was sceptical.) And these days, I don't
bother watching TV, I just watch Netflix and YouTube (which was first
mentioned on the Bar in 2006.)

Also, we've been discussing the Ultimate Synth at times, and I remember
somebody mentioning a Like button. And guess what? I'm watching a video
of the Nord Lead A1, and it has a Like button, complete with a "thumbs
up" icon.

Do you guys remember anything from the past decade or two that
eventually became reality? And why aren't we all a lot richer because of
that? :-)

- Peter