Line 6 Helix - rack or floor?

Mikael Hansson forums at deadmengods.com
Thu Aug 17 07:38:03 CEST 2017

Hi Romain,

Yeah, I have looked into both Kemper and Fractal Audio, the AX8.

The AX8 sounds a little bit more authentic but there's very minor differences in my ears. The main problem is that it's so damn expensive in Europe, around 500€ more than the Helix. Probably due to a single store having the rights to sell it.

I'm also really interested in getting a Variax guitar and the integration with the Helix is another plus.

The Helix Native plugin was released yesterday, it's sonically equivalent to the hardware boxes and also patch compatible. There's a 15-day trial available so check it out.

The Kemper seems to be the one you should get if you really want authenticity in the amp recreations but it's lacking in some other areas; pedals, fx and flexibility, ease of use, where the Helix outshines it.

Still haven't decided, I think the rack would be better for me but together with the foot control it's more expensive than the floor unit. Just have to figure out if it's worth it.

/Micke

Sent from Mikaels cellular device