Microsoft Surface Studio PC

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Fri Oct 28 14:55:17 CEST 2016

> On 28.10.2016, at 12:50, Joost Schuttelaar <joost at joostschuttelaar.nl> wrote:
>
> I bit the bullet and ordered a maxed out MBP 15” (1TB drive instead of 2TB though).

I’m completely torn over the new macbook, I have to touch one to know about it, I guess.

I am on a 17” from 2011, put a 1TB SSD in about a year ago and since then it’s been great again. I think it’s a bit heavy.

stuff I notice in daily use:

- SD-card slot is very good to have to transfer audio files from recorders (do this almost daily, or should)
- optical drive just sits there. no use for it.
- USB is so universal, lots of devices that are useful, use at least 3 different pieces of gear with USB every week, and often
- firewire is good, but I could do without. I have a special 400->800 cable for my RME FF400 anyway, so using an adapter or a special cable is no different. losing the cable is a showstopper anyway, so just take good care of it…
- never use Ethernet
- love the Magsafe adapter. will miss it. just love how the magnet snaps it into place. have actually tripped over the cable and disconnected it, a few times over the years.

I’m using a 2011 top of the line, non glossy display, maxed out on everything MBP — it cost me about 2700 €, so I’m not too worried about the price of the new models if they are better...

love the weight and the look of the new 15”, looking forward to trying the screen and the keyboard. Right now I have no use for a touchstrip, but who knows what this may bring. I don’t like the look of those gamer laptops one bit. They look like they come with the smell of the unmade bedroom of a 16 year old...

I carry my MBP with me almost every day. I have thrown my backpack on the ground, dropped a holepunch on the palm rest — the Mac has some awful dents all over the place — and just works and works, five and a half years down the line…

so we’ll see when I will finally need a new one. Some of you may remember that my last laptop was stolen after just 2 years, so this one has been really good for me.

but I’m glad to read your discussion, although some of it could do with less emotions — it’s just a machine…;) (kidding. I know, I know, there is no such thing as “just” a machine!!)