Weighted Keyboard - what do they feel like?

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:52:42 CET 2016

> I think I will not got for the weighted option as I have never had such a keyboard.  It might feel odd suddenly having a weighted keyboard as my main controller..

Its an interesting point, because indeed it does involve a different playing style, I have found.  When you have a surety that the keys rebound in kind to your pressure, it sort of implies a counterpoint.  Whereas the traditional Fatar-style keyboard is kind of ‘fire and forget’, with weighted keys you indulge a certain rhythm per digit.  I think, if you’re not into that, it might be a distraction - however for the case where you spent some time with a piano, of any variety, it may be a welcome respite from key plastic.

> ..Just wish the S61 was not so expensive...   :(

Never forget to look for weighted keys in the recycles/second-hand market; a lot of these digital piano keyboard beds are out there, waiting to be bought for a good price.  I’m quite content with my CLP, but if you ever get inclined to go weighted, you can probably do far, far better for cheap.  ’tis only a controller, don’t forget - you might spot a bargain that is a good physical device that sounds utterly naff, albeit MIDI.

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com