iPad Professional

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 14:02:21 CET 2016

> Just one of those things that blows you back, super powerful, light and gigantic. Would have bought right away but pencil was never in stock (dumb,) so was going to wait for the next version, but changed my mind on a whim. Bought it specifically for the portable drawing and music apps. Procreate, djay Pro and modstep are killer apps for me right now. This thing is way underrated.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed with the pencil/stylus thingy, its just so hokey to have to charge it like that and not have anywhere positive to attach it to the “iPad Pro”, blah blah .. but I guess they had to leave this problem to the 3rd-party case manufacturers, since that is an industry unto itself.

Power-wise, the thing absolutely screams and is great for music-making, positively great, imho.  A designer friend of mine has one, and I’ve filled hers with the basics - Modular, AniMoog, etc.  Its bloody awesome synthesizer/music-making tool - just imagine having two of them.  Redicu-bonk-ulous.  But if I break my Apple embargo (swore this laptop’d be the last thing I bought from them, an iPhone6S ago..) .. and get into the “-Pro” segment on the next major iteration, I think, though .. honestly its not a must-have.

But for sure it’ll be a good thing for the kids to use to make things.  As a new computer-users’ new computer, its a shocking advance.

But the ideology is very, very wrong with Apple and iPad Pro, I feel.  There is a dilemma.  Its big enough now, and powerful enough, that the rationale for not having onboard development tools to build high-performance apps for it, with it, just can’t really be justified.  If there is ever "Xcode Pro - for iOS”, it couldn’t happen soon enough, imho.

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com