Yamaha do it again ..

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 12:49:45 CEST 2016

> Op 21-7-2016 om 22:11 schreef Andrew Tarpinian:
>> Uhhhhh makes me shudder.... I hate most 90's gear (maybe not 100% but.)
>
> Yamaha's AN1x, EX5, and VL1; Korg Prophecy and Z1; Kawai K5000... just off the top of my head.

{FS1R, Virus, Machinedrum.. Pulse.. Matrix1000.. } .. sure, a lot of 90’s gear is long in the tooth by comparison with all the newfangled laptop toys, but I still think the great thing about synthesizers is you can spend a decade making sounds with them, and still encounter/discover/apply curiously powerful stuff in the given parameters.  I recently made the mistake of cabling up the ultra-cheesy XG synth in the QY700 for a session, and piping it through some rough pedals from a jam-mates rig, and it turns out to have been the perfect nasty bass/lead-like sound for what we wanted to do, although far, far from the synth I would’ve first thought to do it with.  All those juicy, juicy parameters, and so many more dynamic sessions upon which to fly them.

> Everything was just baaaaaaad presets.

I remember a period in the 80’s when old, single voice, analog synths were suddenly unfashionable - everyone wanted timbrality, and was prepared to sound cold and harsh to get it.  A lot of the musicians I knew at that time were adamant about the ‘old sound’ being un-vogue.. and then, as it seems it happened, these old synths came back again, by way of a youthier generation using them to bend the rules and make techno and whatever, and suddenly, it all came back again.  You had to have at least a bit of 70’s/80’s analog around to bring relief from the age of digital (which has clearly cycled upon us again in big ways, with requisite resistance from the new-generation analog camp, etc., ad infini.)

There was, and seems will forever be, the marketing reality in this genre of musical instruments which divides the user between those who make their own sounds, and those who consume the presets - both sides are nevertheless capable of virtuoso application of the relevant ethos, but the line is there - by design - to create a factory-preset/professional-sound-programmer distinction.  Its a bit like how it works in software, too.

Plus: I think it takes players and wanna-be programmers of synthesizers on average quite some years to fully grok the technology, no matter the platform… synths have a much, much longer user-/half-/shelf- life than most other programmable objects… But as old synths get old, the factory presets get discarded and/or serially abused, and kids take their parents’ old junk out of the basement and try to use it without the SRAM-batteries, and so on, entirely new generations of sound programmers are to be had.

Old synths never die; their presets do.

>> I do have that Yamaha SU700 in the closet. Wonder what would happen if I sampled a minimoog into it? :)
>
> It would have to come out of the closet.

Get thee in the closet, select and retrieve severely neglected and needy object of desire, drag into living-room/balcony/dungeon, plug in, play.

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com