Modal eurorack

Tony Scharf tony.scharf at outlook.com
Mon Jan 25 18:17:33 CET 2016

> > Sounds great, looks good, but ’tis bloody expensive and ultra-elite.  I guess it is to be had.
>

> Heard these are going to be around $300, so on the less expensive end. Which is nice, as I feel like I’m always looking at 500+ price tags in euro.

The second hand euromarket is very, very good.  There are TONS of people who buy the stuff the day of release because they have to have it, then turn around and sell it at 20% to 30% off of retail.   I almost never buy new because it's all out there...
Also....this is the year it starts to mainstream.  I think the next couple years are going to get very hard for a lot of manufacturers because they will be marketing up against the likes of Roland and Korg (not Yamaha, though...they still wish it was 1997).   I think a consolidation is down the line.

Another thing...I'm getting a bit sick of the over the top hyperbole in eurorack. here's a realistic conversation to be had with certain manufacturers:

Mfr: "This is my new big bang radiotronic frequentimator! its absolutely awesome!!  It will change your sound forever!"Me: "Ok...but what does it do"Mfr: "This knob controls the density of the shift relative to the frequency and this knob gives you warm speed!"Me: "It sounds like a low pass resonant ladder filter."Mfr:  "Well, yeah.   But it's my own design, and you can have it for $600"
*sigh*...
This is a big reason I haven't bought any more modules in a while.  They are like paint, and there is only so much red you need.
Tony