MagicShifter 3000: Now available (MIDIShifter variant, on the horizon) ..

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 20:23:45 CET 2016

>> http://www.hackerspaceshop.com/magicshifter-3/magicshifter3000.html
>
> So is this one upgradeable to the MidiShifter? :) just a cable, or are there gonna be hardware differences?

The MagicShifter3000, which you were introduced some time ago as a prototype, is now final and the design is shipping.  Its done.  It has been designed to support MIDI out of the box, with an additional cable.  We made it.

MagicShifter3000 is *the* hardware platform for MIDIShifter.  The only additional requirement is the MIDI adapter (which we are also building) that slots onto the back of a standard MagicShifter3000 and gives full MIDI I/O. (There may be other things to slot into a MagicShifter3000 to turn it into something in the future, too .. it has expansion designed in mind.)  There are two basic products: MagicShifter3000, an amazing light-synth in its own right, and MIDIShifter, which adds MIDI to the MagicShifter3000 and turns it into a music-making workstation (as well as an amazing light synth).

The deal I mentioned earlier for music-bar members includes the MagicShifter3000 and *prototype* MIDI adapter cables (at the moment, hand-made by yours truly), for the purpose of beta testing the MIDI functionality.  When we get the kinks ironed out (with your help) we’ll go into production on the MIDI cables.  Really its nothing significant - the UART is already set up for the work on the MS3000 - its just the standard MIDI opto-isolator circuitry that needs to be tested in a production environment before we mass-produce.  And then, there will be the software.

A new MS3000 firmware will ship out this week, with lots of cool features - PixelEditor, TextEditor, POV text, a few other neat light-synth modes - and I will be preparing the first MIDIShifter firmware release shortly thereafter.  BTW, I’m “the firmware guy” in the MS3000 team .. there’s a “web guy” and a “hardware guy” too, and we’re all working pretty well together at the moment .. and we have a lot of cool features planned in the works for the MagicShifter3000, and the MIDIShifter variant, so it’d be great to have some more music-bar guys in the beta list .. the idea is to produce an amazing, versatile little MIDI sequencer that can double as a MIDI ‘sonic screwdriver’ as well ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com