Timewind (Re: Juiced Jam 2016 — 10-years celebration!)

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Tue Feb 23 00:49:50 CET 2016

On 22/02/16 12:09, Gert van Santen wrote:
> Op 22-2-2016 om 12:34 schreef - -:
>> Hi Gert,
>>
>> Comments greatly appreciated. Also noted, what you say about the
>> structure - obviously the way this music happened means that
>> planning such a thing tends to mess with the vibe (and the
>> priorities of the musicians involved, who favour a particular
>> ethos). Looking forward to listening later!
>>
>> t.
>

> Hi Tony,
>
> I hear what you're saying about structure.
>
> But check what Klaus Schulze did with Timewind. Perhaps it's an idea for
> these kind of improvisation concerts...
>
> (PS, I hope the image is working).

Hi Gert,

Many thanks for the mastering - not sure exactly what you did (some
dynamics on the low end?) but the stick is really clear, and there
is an overall increase in clarity, so I was able to listen to the
piece with fresh ears.

Probably my favourite parts are where the textures and the flow are
very intense. Like you, I prefer moments where hints of conventional
musicality come through. It's a tough listen, gotta admit, and the
danger with this kind of music is that, after you've played it a while,
you learn the vocabulary, and forget how extreme it is.

While these sounds of chaos link us more directly to the primordial,
it's far more difficult to communicate with them, in a musical sense.

Klaus Schulze's Timewind has been a source of inspiration since I first
heard it around 1993. Later I purchased timewind.net off a mysterious
gentleman with an address in Berlin (was all I was told) - so it could
have been the man himself.

Timewind is a great piece, uniting the abstract, classical and electronic
forms all in one go; incredible achievement.

So, my studies continue. And thanks once again for bringing that
instrument along to Joost's party!

t :)