Macbook Pro - Give us a review, Joost?

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Sat Dec 3 20:31:40 CET 2016

On 3 Dec 2016, at 19:18, Jay Vaughan (ibisum) <ibisum at gmail.com <mailto:ibisum at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Mine arrives next week - Joost, tell us how it's been for you .. ?

I’m really happy with it! Here are my notes thus far:

MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar

The keyboard is surprisingly good! I think I might actually like this better than the old MacBook Pro keyboard. Yes, the travel is super short. But the click is very satisfying and the bigger size of the keys feels good.
UPDATE: after a week of using this machine, I typed a bit on Pierre’s MBP (13” Retina), and the keys were positively tall, jucky, sticky, wobbly and weird. I’ve been converted.
Touch Bar. I've touched it a few times by accident. Hitting the Escape key from muscle memory goes very well. No issues there. The mini oled-screen is good, including the resolution. Definitely Retina on the distance that you'd typically look at it. Very nice app integration, I can really see me using it for when I don't know a keyboard shortcut already. Also the nice Apple details: if you touch the volume icon and swipe left right away, the volume decreases. So you don't have to open the volume panel first. It feels very natural. And I do love the emoji input 😎
UPDATE: I’ve touched the Touch Bar a few times by accident, I have to stop resting my fingers above the keyboard which I apparently do sometimes.
System Integrity Protection (view it using csrutil status) was disabled for some reason.
The speakers are much better than my old ones. The stereo image is pretty amazing.
Apple Mail import/export is broken in Sierra. Fuck.
I don't use the iCloud keychain. The Local Items keychain gets used by the system, such as when Safari stores passwords, but... is in a different format than a regular keychain and can't be opened manually. Also, when using Migration Assitant, it did transfer the Local Items folder, but the keychain was not available on the new machine. I had to manually copy all items (by changing my password on my old machine to space and hitting space/enter a few hundred times). Uggghhhh.
Oh, oh, oh, how nice it is to have a much lighter laptop than my old bulky 17".
Oh, I do wish the screen resolution was 3840⨉2400 (or 3840⨉2160). I like the screen estate of the higher resolution mode, but rendering is a bit uneven to my taste 😞 my eyes are very sensitive to pixel perfection for some reason.
Touch ID on a laptop makes a lot of sense. I'd like to use it for sudo though. Siri in the top right corner also makes a lot of sense. I want text input though.

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL

--