DIY FM - PreenFM2

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:00:29 CEST 2015

> ..just reading up and it turns out Mr PreenFM used the “Mutable Instrument open source arpeggiator algorithm”.  I failed to find it via google in a 10 second search..

That is very fascinating, and thank you for pointing that out .. as I’m currently working on the MIDIShifter3000 project (I may have mentioned it before), such references are immensely valuable in deciding how/what features to implement .. I already have an arpeggiator functioning, but now I’ll go have a closer look at the MI code and see what genius things I find .. maybe its part of the Anushri/Shruthi codebase, which I already have .. will look.

> But this is a good example of why some synth manufactures frustrate me..  There is a fantastic, what turns out to be open source, Arpeggiator available and one-guy-in-his-bedroom has the sense to add it to his little home FM project.  So why would bigger manufactures do anything less?!

Because big synth manufacturers make synthesizers, but they also make big-synthesizer-companies, and those companies aren’t very valuable if they’re based on code someone else wrote.  But me, personally, I’m going to open source all the things, so that the MIDIShifter3000 becomes a bit more useful to anyone who wants to hack on these things in the future ..

> It does sometimes feel like when it comes to synths, more is most definitely less…  Much less…

Its not really fun to be on the outside watching all of this again, having been on the inside for a few years, so I’m looking forward to being on the inside again, only with a lot more outside brought inside with me, if you know what I mean .. oh shoot, why does it feel like I just wrote a Punkdisco lyric .. ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com