DIY FM - PreenFM2

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 19:08:05 CEST 2015

Hi all

I finished my first DIY build synth the other day:

http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63513.0;attach=340;imag

The whole build cost about 250euro.

I know Andy is loving his sexy Yamaha Reface but if you want something
smaller, I would defo recommend the PreenFM2.

I have been frustrated with FM since owning a FS1R many years ago.  It seems
to be a technology that never evolved into a single "ultimate" design.  Lots
of synths over the years have sexy factors but no single synth contains all
(or even most) of the key factors..

If I were to describe the ultimate FM synth it would be:

1)      6 Operators

2)      Multi waveforms (some FM synths are sin wave only)

3)      Lots of algorithms (20 or more)

4)      Simple and easy interface

5)      Patch randomiser (vital for FM which is always a bit of guess work)

6)      Filter

7)      Should be small! (otherwise the DX7ii could have been a contender)

8)      DX7 Patch compatibility

9)      Proper modulation options in addition to the Operator envelopes

10)   Arpeggiator

11)   Multitimberal

Coincidently, and perhaps with a little bias :), the above describes most of
the PreenFM2    :)

Extra comments:

1)      The interface is a complete joy

2)      3 LFOs

3)      2 Free form envelopes (in addition to the Operator envs)

4)      2 step sequencers

5)      Arpeggiator (one of the best I have come across in hardware with 22
patterns plus 4 user patterns)

6)      12 row Modulation matrix : 16 sources, 32 destination

7)      Very easy to build (they quote 2-3 hours / took me 4-5 hours but Im
crap)

8)      Randomizer is a fantastic implementation allowing separate styles of
randomizing for different sections (envs = pad/percussion/low/med/hi
randomization etc etc)

Off to play more..  :)

Paul

London