El Capitan

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Oct 14 22:45:34 CEST 2015

Op 14-10-2015 om 19:37 schreef Dennis Jameson:

> As an aside, since Peter decided to point out the link to Microsoft's Windows 10 features (either as a joking troll post or seriously), here's my experience with Windows 10 so far. It's just as bad/buggy as people in this thread are saying El Capitan is. I was helping a retired coworker setup wireless on her brand spanking new, made for Windows 10 HCL approval sticker attached, pre installed with Windows 10 laptop and it was an utter piece of shite & headaches. Wi-Fi worked for one day after I helped her set it up and then proceeded to stop working again. Ended up having to download a Wi-Fi device driver from the manufacturer's website to get it working again. Which was a pain in the a$$ because this laptop is so small it doesn't have an Ethernet port. Which meant going to a second PC (thankfully we were at work so there were plenty others around) and having to copy the driver to a flash drive. After installing the driver using the flash drive Wi-Fi worked again (for a few days at least), before not working anymore. She even returned it back to the store for the same model and had some of the same issues again.

Part trolling of course, but ever since Windows 7, and even XP before
that, I do like Windows. Windows 8 was a bit of a queer fish, but in
combination with an SSD it's just really, really fast. As in, you shut
down your PC and it's off before you've moved more than three metres
from your computer.

Windows 10 is absolutely without any problems for me. It's a bit
annoying that some default applications got reassigned, but other than
that, it was painless. It starts quickly, it works exactly like you'd
expect (except perhaps for the stupid behaviour with drives and drag &
drop that is inherent to Windows), and it never crashes.

But, and this is a very big but, I have quality hardware. Your friend's
problems sound like crappy hardware with crappy drivers, sorry to be so
blunt. As soon as third-party hardware and drivers are involved, all
bets are off, and I'd hazard a guess that Microsoft have better QA than
Long March Wi-Fi Chips. That sticker is meaningless, if you ask me.

My Windows 8 laptop at work is giving me trouble, though, occasionally
becoming extremely slow because of the disc, but that's probably because
it's a laptop, and laptops suck. It's still super-stable.

> Lesson learned: don't upgrade OS'es or hardware that has a new OS installed on it until most bugs have been worked out.

More like: lesson learned: buy (somewhat) pricey gear. Your PC problems
will vanish.

- Peter