Early Voice Synth

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Tue Oct 6 00:08:54 CEST 2015

On 04.10.2015, at 09:26, Jay Vaughan (ibisum) <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’d love to hear the results - or maybe even see a tutorial video?  Because this sounds fascinating ..

Ok, maybe I was overpromising here. I mean something that sounds like speach (especially vowels/formants).

Doepfer has the Allen Strange table of frequencies for vowel-formants in the PDF to the A-127 (triple resonance filter):

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A127_man.pdf

With Max you could make three bandpass filters, feed them with a sawtooth wave and modulate (morph?) the frequencies from formant to formant. You could add noise for consonants and add controllers (a joystick?) to control the pitch movement of the sawtooth wave and a stutter-button to make it sound more like words.

If you feel like it, you can divide the sawtooth wave to create a subharmonic oscillator -- to get into Trautonium territory... (in that case, please honor Oscar Sala and refer to the sawtooth as "Kippschwinger" and to distortion as "Trompeten-Effekt"...;-)

The fine tuning to make is legible speech probably takes a few days-weeks-months. But making it sound like plausible nonsense speech, should be an hour...

Kai