Live 9.5

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:23:51 CET 2015

So I tried Push 2 last night. Let's just say it's 5 billion times better than Push 1. It's still not a do it all controller for the DAW aspect of Live, but for sitting down and starting a track ignoring the computer it really delivers, in the same way that external hardware does. You can access your user library for your own custom stuff but I just stuck with Live devices and presets to try it out. I usually hate presets but something about the workflow I found myself having a lot of fun. Plus I think they have cracked the code in the editing of these devices from the hardware, to the extent of I was able to program sounds from init very fluidity from the device. Plus I was able to do a lot in the adding of effects and editing them, mixing, it's pretty much all here if you stick with Live's core stuff.

Now I went into this in a different mode of thinking, treating it like an external groove box that has it's limitations, not a computer. In this way you are treating it like an instrument not super hyper editing mode like you would a computer. It's really excelling like this. On the old Push I really felt too limited in this way of working.

It will be interesting to see how things go when I want to start doing more custom things and working with non Ableton plugins, at the least the hardware is upgraded in everyway. But I am starting to really gel with the idea of treating it as an idea generator where you create, jam it out, and then go into the computer to edit, replace sounds, completely re-mix etc...