Holy Molies: Korg M1 on iPad

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Sat May 30 02:49:25 CEST 2015

Sent from my iPad
> On May 24, 2015, at 5:49 PM, Nigel Kersten <nigel at explanatorygap.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <andrewtarpinian at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yea, actually I just synced (sunk?) 3 up to my op1. They are fun but of course there is a limit, unless you make techno then you are good :) I actually find myself going more into that direction these days.
>
> I can't work out if I'm rediscovering my love of making techno because of the Volca boxes, or whether I'm enamoured by the Volca boxes because I've been rediscovering techno, but they're definitely provoking this odd kind of output of mine that's live and somehow quite separate to the stuff I do with my DAW normally.

Techno is coming back in the main stream think, EDM, dubstep/brostep, people who grew up with Aphex Twin(me), took things in such a daw glitch plugin edited ADD direction it's gonna come back around to more subtle hardware rhythm. Actually it's really Drum n Bass's fault, they really started the drop, back when I thought (original) dubstep was the most boring music possible. Most likely they switched places because people are lazy and they would rather "dance" to half time beats than 170 actual.

> The Volca Sample is surprisingly flexible. I've got all four now, and the Beat is really only getting used for that gorgeous analogue kick with long decay.

I decided to go for the new electribe sampler. I was going to do the regular one but decided to try out the sample first since they look to be starting to come out now, and there is hardly any info on them, save a few recent YouTube videos. More fun that way. I think the volcas, op1 and electribe sample will be a legit battery powered mini set up.

>  So... I think your hopes might rest with Elektron? I played with an A4 and an Octatrack, and totally see why so many people are moving their live sets to the latter.

To me A4 or Keys, Octatrack, and Rytm are the equivalent 808, 909, 303 etc... of this time period, except they started out expensive :)