Tracks I found which you might listen to ..

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:49:19 CEST 2015

Hi Tom,

Thanks for listening and sharing your opinion ..

> I wonder how these tracks where created. Not so much on which instruments were used, but more how they came to life. One take recordings?

Well the way its always worked with Restless-Ear-Syndrome (me, Stan and Ben) is that we spend a few hours jamming in full improv style - nothing is pre-arranged, nothing is set up prior to our session start, and so on - its just “hit Record, start Playing” and see what happens.  There is no pretense - we leave in all the mistakes and enjoy finding the treasures some time after the fact.

> This one: fubrak-the_synthlickers_tempo
> Can't really tell you why, but somehow it kept me entertained more than some of the other songs.

Great!  Its one of my favorites too!

> This one annoyed the crap out of me: fubrak-uku_nova ;-)

Right.  :)

> This is not my kind of music, so I have hardly any reference, but overall, I miss some structure, some tension built up.

So this is a result of our jam ethos, which is to just go where the three of us are going, together, and let the music flow out of us - so we don’t really organize, or communicate about what we’re doing other than through the sounds each of us are producing.  I agree - we have some structure missing and some of the things we’re used to hearing from pro tracks are definitely not there - but thats why we do what we do.  The whole RES experiment has been to discover the places and emotions that exist within the space that the three of us create - sometimes it works, a lot of times it doesn’t.

But the reason we do it is because we all want to improve as musicians, communicating musically and no with imposed, rigid structure.  There is a place for that in composition of course, but the RES project is all about the mystery-space and what it may - or may not - contain.

> I hear great sounds and nice evolutions in these sounds. But somehow most of these songs are too long to keep my attention.

I also have the same thought when I review the tracks.  We have close to a terabyte of recordings, and a lot of it doesn’t really appeal much on second listen, but the parts we find in all of this which do have some appeal really have helped us to refine our musical identity.

> I have the feeling listening to 'jams' which are usually nice to listen to by the performer, but less interesting for an audience.  (But it must have been great fun to make the tracks….)

True - well we like to position our ‘released tracks’ as background music/padding for life, not as really ‘legitimate’ tracks - mostly the long tracks are, in our consideration, more of a ‘mini-LP’ for some period of listening.

Believe it or not: we have some fans who love this free-form, longer-than-usual chaos!

> I do think that if you have the stems and some time and motivation that you can get these tracks up to speed.

This is the part that we simply don’t do.  Its probably time to do that, but I think we’ve also gotten to a place lately where exploration of the mystery-space will provide inspiration for further musical development.  Actually lately we (as a group dynamic) seem to have reached a plateaux - we’re not jamming much in the last few months - and so some sort of destination has been achieved, in my opinion.  We may not continue the RES experiment, but at least we are all prepared for whats next having created a space in which we’re all satisfied.  There may not be much more RES on the horizon, but what we’ve done so far is definitely going to influence each of us, individually - or rather, has done in a way that we can be prepared for new things.

Myself, I’m gearing up to re-wire my entire studio again to integrated DAW, MIDI, and be a bit more prepared for arrangement-style composition again.  One of the reasons for finding these tracks and reviewing them is to get my head in the right space for that effort, because I’ve been avoiding it for too long ..

> Just my 0.02$ and as you know I have a real bad taste in music myself :-)

I don’t think you have bad taste in music - we share some common affinities, imho.

Thanks for listening and giving us some feedback!

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com