Free SOS subscription (6 months) : hurry, offer expires today

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:26:58 CEST 2015

> I only read FM for the articles. Oh who am I kidding it's for the studio tours.

:)  I only read it for the pretty pictures.  They’re pretty good at the gear porn.

> I trust SOS much more but it's just so stuffy and boring now a days, or maybe always.

I wonder this myself .. did I just become less interested in the subject, or has it literally become so stuffy and boring that I find myself nodding off half way through the average SOS/FM article?  Maybe its that whole “dancing about architecture” thing, and you shouldn’t read about music-making, you should just make music...

> I started watching the sonic state vid casts lately, those are fun between reviews. Was excited about Potato (more about music) on YouTube but nothing really happened with that. I wish there was more content for this kind of stuff, there is a lot on YouTube but it's a bitch wading through shit. Also it seems no one in any media can do a proper review, it's usually just marketing feature talk. Though Nick will say sometime if he thinks something is a bit off, in a polite way.

Sure seems like there is an opportunity for some sort of music-technology site, even still, to rise from all of this - you definitely hit the nail on the head with the reviews, though: magazine editors have to play a game of cat and mouse, with the subscribers on one hand who expect honest reviews, and the manufacturers on the other hand who will cut into your budget if they feel they’re being unfairly snubbed unfairly during a review (they all do).

Well, anyway, it is fun to be reading this months issue for free .. I have to say its interesting to see iOS-music-making apps taking over the field...

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com