Arduino 3d Printer

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Jan 10 20:15:38 CET 2015

Joost Schuttelaar schreef op 30-12-2014 om 02:06:

> Interesting to see these prebuilt ones… this one is at a good price point too :) but not so sure about PLA 3D-printing in general…
>
> Gonna get a Carvey probably once they’re out :) https://www.inventables.com/technologies/carvey

I've experimented with 3D models for a bit (designed by somebody else)
and I'm not entirely convinced about the whole process. Obviously, my
interest is modelling. I ordered from Shapeways.

First, I ordered a couple of caboose cars (or at least, the Dutch
version thereof). The material was very rough, so I set about filing it
and sanding it. The warmth of my hands made the material deform, and it
remained deformed. (After ordering resin versions of the same thing, and
abandoning that project too, they're now on order from a normal
manufacturer.)

The second was a model of a Mack Titan (Australian version) to build a
model of a road train. The material was a bit better this time around,
but there's very clear stepping on surfaces that are not at a straight
angle, or that are curved.

I suspect that the materials used by Shapeways have something to do with
it, but often they're the only ones who can provide you with a certain
model, unless you go and design it yourself - which is not very likely
to happen any time soon.

3D carving, now that's another interesting approach, although I doubt it
will solve the resolution issue unless you throw a lot of money at it.

- Peter