Once you go mini...

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Feb 25 23:55:29 CET 2015

Nigel Kersten schreef op 25-2-2015 om 23:11:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com
> <mailto:peter at severity-one.com>> wrote:
>
>     Also, a VERY important consideration is that my wage is an
>     operational expenditure, too, and is being paid from the same
>     money as the yearly licenses. :)
>

> Free Software all the way then :)

Actually, I'm very much for "buy what you can, build what you must".

We actually spend a serious amount of money on software, like Oracle. I
would choose Oracle over MySQL and PostgreSQL any day, especially if I
don't have to set it up and maintain it. Heck, I've written complete
applications in PL/SQL.

I've heard rough figures of what we're paying Accenture to implement
Siebel and middleware, and let's just say that it's a good thing we're a
profitable company.

But buy, not rent, software, though I understand that your product
doesn't lend itself well to one-off payments, not if you want to remain
in business.

- Peter