Once you go mini...

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:09:56 CET 2015

> Are you a PulseAudio hater too now? (ignoring the botched releases *Ubuntu* made at first which is where most people's dislike of PulseAudio comes from)

Yes.  I absolutely despise PulseAudio with a major passion and have excised it completely from existence on all of my machines.  *VERY* prescient of you! :)

Jackd all the things, with a little ALSA bridge where needed, or GTFO.

> His points about how companies use Linux for appliance development are totally spot on. As someone who's been working for the last year or two with all of the network vendors who are transitioning from proprietary OSes to Linux/BSD distributions, there's an enormous world of pain out there.

Definitely agree with you about pain.  But don’t you think its deserved, though?

> At least Ubuntu have tried to invent a bunch of useful technology, even if it's mostly failed in the wider ecosystem. cloud-init is the only thing I can think of that has actually gotten traction anywhere else, and there's a much longer list of failures like bazaar, JuJu, AppArmor etc.

Don’t get me wrong - I hate Unity like I hate Pulseaudio too.  Thank god for choice!  Oh wait, we don’t have that with systemd any more .. no choice but to follow the herd on this one.

> I *love* Debian. It's my first love (at least out of distros that still exist), and I think it's absolutely critically important that we continue to have strong distributions that don't have corporate interests at heart first. (See also: web browsers :/)

Haha, Julian Assanges’ “Debian is pwned by the NSA” statement notwithstanding, right .. ;)

> Do you have the same complaints around launchd and think OS X is fundamentally flawed? Did you live through the SystemStarter -> launchd transition? We're seeing *exactly* the same story play out here, just as we did with Solaris and SMF.

Yeah, in fact its precisely because of launchd that I hate systemd so much.

> If by disruptive you mean “introduces countless headaches for anyone who has admin’ed a Linux system up to this point, is not at all secure even in the slightest bit, and doesn’t actually *add* features but rather takes them away”, I guess you have a point.
>
> Pure hyperbole :)

tail’able —-follow=name’able log files?  Not hyperbole!  Can’t add my own scripts?  Not hyperbole.  Don’t actually *want* to run cron/Do actually *want* to run a crond?  NOT HYPERBOLE MAN!

> I think "good server OS" is insufficiently specified to actually come up with an answer. Are you running large enterprise monolithic apps? in-house developed apps? microservices? Deploying a PaaS? internal cloud? hybrid cloud? The right answer changes depending upon what you're actually doing with those servers.

Yes to all of the above: which don’t actually work any more - because: systemd.  Haha!  :)

> I'm always happy to argue around this space, but I suspect we're pretty far off course for the music bar :)

Its Peter K’s fault, he tried to convince me to check out CentOS.  :P

Anyway, you are very insightful and I’ll be checking my privilege a little more aggressively in the near future.  Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com