Once you go mini...

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Wed Feb 25 19:17:35 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com>
wrote:

>> Nice work Peter - interesting to hear of your travails.  Just curious:
>> why’d you go with CentOS?
>>

> Because I'm used to it from work -although we seem to be switching to
> Oracle (Enterprise) Linux now- and because I don't need any bleeding edge
> technology. This is purely going to be a server, with not even a local
> display. (Unless I decide to hook up a screen to watch the security
> cameras, but that's not really straightforward I think.)

As someone who was a Debian fanboy for a very long time, I actually think
Red Hat are the ones who are advancing the state of Linux in the most
meaningful way right now.

FWIW I deal with a lot of customers/users who've switched from RHEL/CentOS
to OEL, and it's not without pain. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, but it has
this frustrating uncanny valley aspect compared to RHEL.

This might be because I'm strongly on the systemd side of the Great Init
Wars of 2014/2015...

> And I like the way that 'yum' simply installs everything that you need,
> after you've added a couple of repositories. Because I've had my share of
> building from source, and I'm getting too old for it. And I like that Red
> Hat maintain a steady release cycle based on stability rather than features.

Yep, and they do this far better than Ubuntu do with LTS releases.

> Meanwhile, I've finished: the machine is happily serving web pages on one
> network interface, and getting camera images from the other interface.
> Still a lot needs to be done, like hardening the box, but the start is
> there.

You should Puppetize it :)