Once you go Mac..

Marc Sims avarlinqui at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 07:00:26 CET 2015

Am only now able to get the time to filter through yesterdays posts and am with Andy on the fusion drives although to the layman they're just called hybrid, when my original drive for my XPS failed after 2 years of heavy use I bought one as my main as I couldn't afford much at that time and went for a 700g Seagate hybrid that came with 16g of inbuilt SSD, after about 10 loads the speed increase was quite noticeable taking boots from 65secs to 45 ish.  Then after about a week stumbled upon a deal for some small but good and really cheap SSD's.  So I reinstalled everything again got the SSD as core boot stuff and installed a clever adaptor that turned the inbuilt DVD drive bay to a 2nd HDD bay for the hybrid.  Boots as you expect almost halved and the system is running sweet, coupled with an expansion 1Tb (spinning) drive velcro'd to the lid of the XPS for all my media, its a solid PC that's better and faster than the machine that came out've the box some 3 years ago.

I think with the Hybrids you get the best of both worlds, there's still a little bit of confusion re SSD's and they're maximum write capability which has always been a worry for me and all lappies nowadays appear to have the automatic parking accelerometer (I assume Apples have this too!) and so spinners are a lot less likely to fail.

As too changing to Apple, i'll leave that argument well alone and let the others give suggestions :D