Need more inputs....

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 20:15:09 CET 2015

[ADAT interfaces - one of my favourite subjects!!]

Hey ToAd

I have two of those Behringer interfaces; the original ADA8000 and the newer
ADA8200.  They are highly recommended by me and even Sound on Sound loves
them!!  If money is an option, the older ADA8000 can be found for probably
100euro used..

> and this audio interface

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/NLG/Computer/Audio-interfaces/RME-HDSPe-RayDA
T-ADAT-PCI-Express-Card/art-PCM0007721-000#FullDetails

Wow, that looks a little expensive!!  Are there not cheaper ADAT cards?  Im
still using an old Motu 424 pci setup along with two 2408mk which have
3xADAT each (2xADAT if you also use the 2408s analogue i/o [which most
people would do]).  These Motu setups again are pretty cheap..

> And add an USB fader box thing to use as 'mixing' console.

I have not had mixer faders in my studio for probably 8 years and, don't
miss them at all.  All I ever used a mixer for was to get the level to an
optimum level for recording.

> buy me a couple of these mixing desks. (yes, space is a non issue for me)

For me its not just about space but rather, I love the convenience of ADAT
interfaces.  You can plant them anywhere in your studio with a simple (and
very inexpensive) ADAT optical cable.  Indeed, I have my 4 sets of 8 i/o in
four different places, exactly where they are needed with no wiring
nightmares.

> Nice thing for the ADAT route is that you have some expert sleepers stuff
that can be very interesting

YEP!!!  I have the wonderful ES3 with a ES5 expander giving me 7CV and
8Gates all from a single ADAT.  This single ADAT is actually capable of
running a whopping 54(!) channels of CV or Gate (in any combinations you
choose).  This picture shows a fully expanded ES3 using a single ADAT:

http://1lmm.com/pub1/sw/expandedes-5.jpg

..and remember that the ES stuff is sample accurate CV so you can use it for
envelopes/LFOs etc running at a resolution of 44,100hz!!

Very sexy stuff...

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk