Once you go Mac..

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:11:01 CET 2015

My basic rule, and I guess it applies more to laptops lately is buy the absolute max. Also I buy direct from Apple as you tend to get better support. It’s worth noting that I’m buying machines for my business so the value is recouped almost instantly. I would buy the 5k iMac hands down, it wouldn’t be worth skimping, unless you have a have a hard budget line. I never liked the idea of the fusion drive (Apples fancy word for part spinning drive part SSD,) the drive smartly moving data around? I’m sure it’s fine but no thanks. I would not buy a machine with a moving parts drive, I immediately feel a difference, side note, the bigger the flash drive the faster it is :) Also get applecare.

I use the Apple lightning to firewire 800 adapter connected to a firewire 800 external drive daisy chained to another firewire 800 drive then to a 15ft 800 to 400 cable to my motu :) works fine (until this arrives https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-Thunderbolt2-Dock/.) The only think with the adapter is I don’t think it can’t pass power, so if I hook up a bus powered lightning HDD to the adapter to a 800 port on a laptop it does not turn on, don’t know if it works the other way around.