GAS

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:07:20 CET 2015

So .. I’m just trying to get some actual Friday-night stuff done, but I’m getting distracted by music-bar while also listening to our (RES) last-week RPM session recordings ..

> The Vermona did not grab me as it comes across as being a bit too “standard”.  There are so many new-school mono analogues out there, you need a few unique points or to be inundated with every feature known to man (like the Pro2 and the Sub37).

.. something to think about, along the lines of ‘standards’ and so on, is that there isn’t really a good reason to *buy* a mono-synth.  Its much, much more musically profitable to *build* a monoSynth, or construct a mono synth architecture from parts and modules.  Because the uniqueness of this statement:

>  Is there anything special about the Vermona that I missed?  Maybe its just the sound that’s it main selling point?

.. implies that, eventually, if its ‘the special sound’ one wants, then its got to be built by the individual, for the individual.  Otherwise what you’re really buying - and I mean this from the factory-synth perspective - is quite literally ‘a standard sound’.

You can spend 300..1000-blah on a keyboard all-in-one-monosynth, or you can build one - a really unique one - for basically the same basic price range.  That is really a cool aspect of the Modular revival; the component-ization of modules means at the macro layer, the pipeline itself can be ‘unique’.  Of course, many a zealot has ventured into the modular world with just such a decision, but I honestly thing there are few mono synths out there which couldn’t be replaced/replicated/out-done by a modular rig: for the same price.

Maybe I should really also just listen to one last Eurorack demo and then get some other Friday-night stuff done ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com