Tokyo Images

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Dec 13 21:19:19 CET 2015

Op 13-12-2015 om 13:37 schreef Nigel Kersten:

> deeplfo is right. The stereotypes are there, but there's SO much more
> to Tokyo. Every time I visit I convince myself I need to move there,
> and I suspect if I'd visited in my 20s I'd still be living there, even
> given the eventual barrier all non-Japanese folks experience.

A former colleague of mine moved to California, where he met a Japanese
girl. Following him on Facebook, and seeing him walk around Tokyo in a
(quite gorgeous) kimono, and getting his Maltese surname etched into
some super-special knives (the kind you use for a specific kind of fish)
by an ancient Japanese craftsman in Kanji, is quite a sight/./

I remarked that, considering that his future in-laws had given him a
kimono, he should buy his girlfriend an ghonella, which is a traditional
garment that Maltese women used to wear until the beginning of the 20th
century. There can't have been too many Japanese wearing one.

As I said, it's on my bucket list. And I'd probably look very mundane in
Akihabara.

- Peter