MIDI hardware sequencers (was: Re: GAS .. LUST ..)

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Sun Aug 23 05:38:07 CEST 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Nigel Kersten <nigel at explanatorygap.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <
> andrewtarpinian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How often do you need to import midi to a hardware sequencer!?
>>

> Whenever I've owned them in the past, reasonably often? Multi-part MIDI
> can be kind of annoying to record rather than import.

So this difference has kind of been puzzling away at me all day, and I
think I've worked it out.

Previously my hardware sequencers were never sufficient to write tracks
entirely from scratch, even if they got me most of the way there, so I'd
often import MIDI from my DAW.

After playing around with the Octatrack again, I'm starting to suspect it's
just how I'd write most of my music, and if I did have complex sequencing
on the computer, I'd almost certainly want to sample the output rather than
import MIDI.

> I went and spent some time playing with a Beatstep Pro. The firmware
> update seems to have fixed most of the glitches, and now I'm seriously
> considering it again.
>
> Played with the Octatrack again, which I think is a fantastic machine....

Lucky none of the stores around here actually have any stock for sale, just
floor models. Today would have been an impulse purchase otherwise.