Roland TR-8

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at outlook.com
Sat Sep 20 19:34:14 CEST 2014

"So why is it better than say the electribe EMX-1?"
Simplicity.  To do a lot of things, you do have to stop the sequencer to perform an action.
Is it the only drum machine you're going to want? Probably not.  But it has flow (for lack of a better term).  It has one kit...with one fx setup...with 16 a/b patterns in memory.  I am impressed by any device that requires 0 learning curve.  Its like the exact opposite of the Elektron kit (a Pozitron! see what I did there..).
And this is something for whoever it was who said they don't like sampled drums because of the repetitive nature of the static sounds.  The TR8 is *not* static.  You can here the subtle shifts.  The patterns just sound 'alive'. I can tell the difference between it's sound and samples.
I didn't expect to like it when I went to the Roland booth.  I expected to strengthen my resolve in dismissing it.  The exact opposite happened.
Nerd Audio had an analogue Rytm near it.  I still may add one of those at some point....but for now, this will play magic with my octatrack.
Tony