Pro Tools?

Michael Zacherl mubar04 at blauwurf.at
Tue Nov 25 14:04:06 CET 2014

On 25.Nov 2014, at 13:07 , K9 Kai Niggemann <kai at kainiggemann.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> who of you guys and girls is working with Pro Tools?

only up to v9 barely touched v10 ff.

> I am eligible for an EDU discount and am thinking of getting it for 266 EUR to learn and use it.
>
> First I'm starting the 30 day trial.

go for it!

> but I was hoping that some of you might have an opinion on PT?

the days of PT just 'lurking' in the top notch range are over.
in turn it made the Digidesign, now Avid, audio product structure (even) more complex.

the increasing quality and product range of other companies' interface hardware (RME, metric halo, …)
and the opening towards the lower end and third party HW significantly narrowed PT and other products.

At the first glance it seems old-fashioned, but the underlaying engine is (was?) rock-solid.

If it's about working with a (still) studio standard, go for it!
    (just check the compatibility and functionality lists - there a some gotchas between the products, IIRC)

If it's just you needing a new workhorse I'd consider something like Reaper - which IMO is much more contemporary than PT.

Note that in terms of plugins, built in EQs etc there are differences. So the amount of money to spend may quickly pile up,
if you need certain functionality.
I'm not up-to-date, so I'm afraid you need to look for yourself how it's currently structured/offered.

There's some good reading on SOS's site: http://www.soundonsound.com/search?Keyword=pro+tools

HTH,  m.

--
http://mz.klingt.org