Beautiful new synthesizer ..

moron moron at industrial.org
Sat Nov 8 00:14:24 CET 2014

On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 12:06 +0100, ibi sum wrote:
> Amazing and inspirational:
> http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/11/a-new-acoustic-instrument-that-creates-sounds-like-a-digital-synthesizer/

It's a cool toy for sure but functionally it's just a couple spring
reverbs hung off of a resonator, same principle commonly found in toys
(I used to have a "zube tube" that worked the the same way).

A gutter version of the percussive portion without the dandy factor can
be had from Crank Sturgeon for $35:

http://www.cranksturgeon.com/PIEZOCRANK.html

Personally I'm a fan of chest expander springs which I have been using a
for a few years now to achieve a similar (though noisier) effect.  You
can see one thse springs used as a mic around the 2 mark and then as a
percussive instrument at the 3 minute mark of this video:

http://vimeo.com/4603718

Cheers

--
http://industrial.org