Korg RK-100S

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun May 25 11:05:57 CEST 2014

So... the project at work is finally getting back to a sense of
normality, and with almost 500 unread messages in the Music Bar (and
only because I dispatched around 50 just now), it's perhaps time to
return to the old haunt.

If you're wondering what this project was about: we replaced our
home-built-over-a-decade CRM system with Oracle's Siebel. We're doing
this with the Greek subsidiary of an international consultancy firm, who
in turn offshore most of the work to Pune, India, as it happens to the
building next to where our offshore team works. My personal opinion is
that we got the better developers.

Well, there were a few issues. I think we're around the 10,000 mark in
JIRA now, but to be honest, that's from the very beginning, two or three
years ago. Customers have not been very happy, to put it mildly. It's
cost a lot of money, not to mention hard work, to get them happy again.

One system in particular is the one that I redeveloped, because Siebel
cannot do scheduled jobs. You can imagine that, if you rebuild a new
system from scratch, with completely different components, there will be
issues. Especially if you build your system two full years before any
integration can be done.

For example: the Greeks need to invoke two so-called web services on my
system in order. First they call operation A, then operation B. But
because of parallel processing on their end, they would sometimes call
first B, then A. So I made a fix for that on my end. Then I found out
that sometimes they would call them at the same time. And the list goes
on and one.

Anyway, Friday was the first day in many, many moths that I working
totally relaxed, and so it's time to get back to the land of the living.

I haven't seen this pass by, so I wondered what you guys think of the
Korg RK-100S:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfcDQu--pc

It looks like a fun little keyboard, even if you don't paint your nose blue.

- Peter