Thinking of going: Bitcoin 2014

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Sat Mar 8 15:23:47 CET 2014

On 08/03/14 12:01, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
> And I notice some sour grapes along a lot of a bit older techies, myself included...

lol, a psychologist could see the value of bitcoin just as clearly a
someone who
knows the codebase inside-out ;)

reactions to the pc:

"it's very expensive for something that just plays games"

lol

or the sex pistols:

"that's not music"

or the internet:

"it'll never replace the fax machine"

or the synthesizer:

"sounds nothing like a string orchestra"

or the sampler:

"it removes creativity from music-making"

or electricity:

"the cost of building power stations will prevent this
from being economically viable" [prior to ac distribution]

or the battery:

"what use is this for anything other than twitching a frog's leg"

or powered flight:

"powered flight is simply not scientifically feasible"

or rock'n'roll:

"that's not music"

or travelling to the moon and back:

"[laughter]" - prior to 1950

or, to put it another way, cryptocurrency may or may not fit into
this category, and it's only one of many paradigm shifts that
could occur, but it certainly is technologically equivalent to
any of the above (see the two generals problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Generals%27_Problem )

rather than fighting change, one can embrace it, and maybe the
moon, or otherwise, is not the limit

whatever you want,

dare to dream

we are living in such a time