Ubuntu studio

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Wed Jul 9 19:28:10 CEST 2014

so in my endeavors to get into Linux, I made some (tiny little baby) steps forward.

I got myself a raspberry pi, installed Satellite CCRMA on an SD card, booted from it, connected via ssh and started up PD on the Raspberry. It felt very n00b in a very good way.

Alas installing ubuntu studio on my macbook seems not so easy. I got myself an image of Ubuntu studio, burned that to DVD, booted the macbook from that, but after the initial screen (start ubuntu from CD/Install Ubuntu, etc) there is only a black screen (for about 30 minutes...) and no progress.

I managed to install Ubuntu 14.04. using a VM tool (forgot the name, something open source) but that only runs inside the virtualization and it's not the studio flavor...

well -- it's a bumpy ride, but I'm learning a lot of things and it's fun (because this is not a productive system (duh, evidently not very productive, right now, anyway)...;)

so if anyone has any help to offer I'd be glad -- many of my search terms ("install ubuntu studio on macbook pro dual boot") are so broad that I get all sorts of results but nothing that really gets me anywhere...

Thank you!

Kai