Listening to: Minilogue

deeplfo deeplfo at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 08:36:53 CET 2014

Hi Declan,

I believe focusing on the tools, and to a certain extent the techniques, is perhaps misplaced.  You may be "set" in your ways and are in need of a fresh approach.  I would recommend a deeper look at how you approach those said tools, even a complete departure from them (for a little bit), might be useful.

In the past few months I've been revisiting my interest in classical music, especially chamber music.  In that pursuit, I have been reading on my favorite composers, ok I admit it's mostly Brahms :-), as well as reading and listening to loads of music.  I found that that minor diversion really helping my own efforts, however small, in finding and firing up creative juices.  I also started bringing in various pieces of music that I like into Live, and just visually taking a tour of the intricacies of those pieces.  Part study, part fun.

So, my advice is to not blame the tools for what they are and aren't doing, take small diversions and musical holidays, and focus on the music and not the tools, or for that matter the techniques.  Just make music.

cheers,
mohsen