Listening to: Minilogue

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at outlook.com
Wed Jan 29 14:49:04 CET 2014

> Subject: Re: Listening to: Minilogue
> From: seclorum at mac.com
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:16:50 +0100
> To: music-bar at lists.music-bar.org
>
> >> I guess I should listen to Minilogue, but .. sorry .. the association with Ableton just turns me right off.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Because I can’t stand Ableton-produce tracks, really.  There is something too accurate about the way the clips lock together, or .. something .. else about how Ableton enforces a convention on song-construction, for the purposes of convenience for the user.  I just find it predictable and formulaic - things are very rigid clock-wise, and I guess I’ve adopted a pattern-finding approach to listening to electronic music that has the effect of recognising when things were just ‘copy/pasted’ into existence in the track structure.  Maybe the jitter of MIDI is missing, who knows .. I’ll be the first to admit that I am being myopic about it, but the standard structural composition of your average Ableton composition seems to me to be too accessible for overuse.

This is actually why i have stopped using Ableton and started using Reason.    I never used the clip window in Live since I mostly work with long linear tracks that I edit rather than clips.  I construct songs as sound layers rather than looping events.  I find this makes me listen to the flow of the song more than creating structures by loop factors of 4.    Songs start out as gigantic blobs that I chisel down rather than a bunch of small bricks that I build up.
To each his own, though.  If Ableton works for you, go with it.
Tony