Recording an Explosion

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Fri Jan 24 21:19:34 CET 2014

On the 2nd of February a tower belonging to the university will be blown up (demolished) in Frankfurt.

I am planning to go, together with some fellow music/sound geeks to record. Have any of you ever recorded an explosion?

It must be tricky, you only get one chance, and no prior leveling...

I will get a nagra and will probably use a dynamic mic (electro voice re-20) if I can get a second one for stereo. Then a backup using the internal  mics of the zoom h4n..

Any suggestions?

Kai

Sent from my phone