Sequencer Idea

ToAd tom.adam at thebigear.be
Thu Jan 23 20:47:11 CET 2014

Tony,

I experimented a bit around this idea of yours and came up with some
remarks...

You'll want a glide circuit on the output.  Or even cross fading VCA's.
Especially when in sampling mode.
I came up with this while testing. I actually used 8 oscillators as
input. Every step had it's own VCO. When the step was active, the vco
connected to this step was send to the output.  Here cross fading VCA's
would be fun. Especially if you could alter the amount (or time, or
slope) of cross fading. Not exactly what you described, but fun anyway.
(the output level depends on the position of the knob, this is also
nice, but probably also part of your concept) Actually this part is like
the interpolating scanner from Jurgen Haible.

Later I connected all sorts of CV's (LFO's, EG's,...) to the inputs,
this is when you'll want a glide circuit.

One issue occurred to me when testing this setup with a sample and hold;
if you're using the master trigger and a master CV input, all the steps
end up with the same value. So instead, I clocked the sample and hold
from the same clock as the sequential switch was running. This was more
fun, but not so interesting, I could have just used the S&H to obtain
the same result. So Luckily I have 3 S&H modules, and experimented some
more. Having a S&H on each step is probably what you described, and
would be very cool. In that case you'll want some routing of the output
signal, so you can actually create multiple "evolving" outputs. (the
outputs could be the sum of a couple of "selected"  steps, or even some
more complex algorithms). I think this part should be done digitally,
with a nice (transparent/flexible) interface

Next on my to do list is to find out how I can skip steps or change the
order the steps are activated. I'll need to hack the sequential switch
as i don't think I can do that with the modules I now have.

Thanks anyway, as this was a nice excuse to spend some quality time with
Beelzebuffo!

ToAd