If you could design a music product ..

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Tue Jan 7 15:31:02 CET 2014

On 07/01/14 13:49, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>>> The space-whip?
>>
>> yeah :)
>
> See .. I thought of that thing as something only Michael Z. could play .. :P

yeah - this is pretty much what i think (and maybe mz) :) but it is a
piece of
electronic engineering, a hybrid of existing forms, refined with much
attention
to detail, and incorporates (not surprisingly) an attitude to music
making that
is at odds with the status quo

all the large scale musical products are aimed at making it easier to
turn what
is imagined into a musical recording, or maybe slightly "bending" what
one might
imagine. one has the groove, one has the equal temperament, one has the
samples...

but if you think about it, such music already exists, and what exists in
one
person's mind just then needs to be heard by others. it is a natural
process.
and it may, indeed, be great music, according to some accepted idea, but
the
music already exists, and such technology, then, is a translation tool. the
google translate, of your thoughts into sounds.

and if that isn't already a reality, then soon enough it will be. i want to
think beyond that. i want to be, beyond that, beyond being a mind, attached
to a machine.

what interests me is the process prior to the existence of that music in
the
imagination - what engages the mind to produce such figments, what
experiences,
what delights. in this, the instrument has a central role - in *inspiration*

the posts about modular synths we've seen recently paint a picture of
colours,
craziness, contraptions, trap-door metaphors of all kinds.

and so, a hint at what the mind feeds upon.

all depends how innovative you want to be :)

t.