Listening to: Minilogue

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Feb 23 21:40:27 CET 2014

Hi Jay,

(Did I say happy birthday yet? ;) )

> Does anyone really think Daft Punk is that great?  Coz I don�t.  I find their music formulaic, boring, and predictable.

Yes, I actually think they're terrific. Because they have the
distinction that their sound changes over the years. Prince, or tafkap,
or whatever he calls himself these days, definitely sounds like Prince.
Always. Compare "Around the world" to the Tron Legacy soundtrack to Get
Lucky: there's a very different feel and atmosphere to all these tracks.

About Tron Legacy: it's a soundtrack. It sounds like a soundtrack.
That's what a soundtrack should be, not a collection of pop songs, or
"music inspired by the film". It's like complaining that John Williams
always does the same thing, Star Wars, ET, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter,
heard it all before.

> There isn�t much sound design going on - most of their stuff sounds like factory presets.  The hooks?  Meh.  Subject-matter?  Meh.  Collaborating with the cheesiest people that America has to offer, for the sake of market penetration? Bo-ring.

Sound design is hugely overrated. Good luck wanking off in a studio to a
sequenced loop that repeats into infinity whilst you turn this knob to
slightly modify the filter cut-off, but nobody other than you really
cares. That's my greatest gripe with modular synthesisers, because you
lose track of what composition is about.

There's an art to creating music that other people want to listen to,
and Daft Punk are good at that. I'd say it's a lot more difficult to
write a three-and-a-half minute song that's pleasant to listen to, than
to create a half-hour session with meandering sounds that nobody other
than you wants to hear.

It's the same reason that you won't see me in the Tate Modern, because
no, I don't think that Mickey Mouse moving in and out of focus, or
canned shit, count as art. Make at least a bit of an effort.

It ought to be said that I do like most things French, and their music
in particular. (Not their politicians, though. I think French
politicians suck even by politicians' standards.)

- Peter