External MIDI with Machinedrum

Jon Stutters jstutters at jeremah.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 10:43:08 CET 2014

On 02/11/2014 09:58 PM, Mikael Hansson wrote:
> The sequencing ability of the MD is a big bonus though. As I
> understand it, it's limited to three note polyphony and all trigs are
> spot on the trigs (i.e no timing variation on individual notes in
> chords)

That's right- up to 3 notes, and then velocity for those notes and (I
think) 3CCs - no timing variation apart from swing.

The note sequencing is fiddly so you're not going to be doing Bach on
there but it's handy for basslines and pads.  The newer versions have 64
step sequencing which I imagine opens up some possibilities that weren't
available on the 32 step version I have.

One nice feature is that the CCs can be parameter locked and controlled
by the global machines so you can quite a lot of motion going through
that (cut the filter frequency across all drum sounds and sequenced
instruments live from one knob for example).

Jonny